Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rat family and their cheese addiction

"Mama, I'm hungry." I must hear this 14 times a day. Seriously my tiny little thing should weigh in at 50 pounds. She is only in the 10% on the average growth chart. I buy more cheese than Kraft does.  (I swear just as I wrote that last sentence, she just asked me for crackers and cheese and I threw my head back and cackled) I love to cackle.
There are three reasons I have to make an emergency grocery shopping run.

 1. We are out of coffee creamer.
 2. We are out of dog food.
 3. We are out of cheese.

I buy cheese in the bulk form. I buy cheese sticks, shredded cheese, block cheese and cheese slices. I buy cream cheese, colbyjack, sharp cheddar, Velveeta, Swiss, mozzarella, American, muenster, provolone, goat cheese, feta and then special aged Gouda cheese just for Mama Rat. At any given time, I might have no less than 5 kinds of cheese in 4 different forms in my refrigerator at one time. My baby rat can eat cheese for breakfast, cheese for snack with crackers, cheese with more crackers for another snack before lunch. She will come home from school or a friends house and want a snack and it will always have cheese in the product. Like goldfish, cheddar cheese crackers.  It's mac and cheese of dinner.. sometimes. Mostly its just cheese and crackers. Today, its apples, cheese, crackers and peanut butter...all together. Hey its protein.

That is the point of this post. Protein and fat do NOT raise your glucose like carbohydrates do. Protein still will raise your blood glucose a little bit, but not much. And fat, good healthy fat like olive oil won't raise your glucose at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment