Thursday, November 17, 2011

Your Endocrinologist

Every diabetic should have a endocrinologist. I just had my first appointment with mine. I am so glad I did. He was able to give me answers and I needed answers. My regular doctor could not give me information about the endocrine system and what the hell it was doing (or not doing) in my body. I was trying to find out if I am insulin resistant or insulin dependant.  What is the difference between the different drug therapies for diabetics?  Can you take pills and injections and still be a type 2 diabetic? (and the answer is a firm YES) And exercise. Exercise helps make the body less resistant to the insulin your body is producing (type 2), even if your not losing weight....keep exercising.

My Endo was impressed with me exercising every day, losing 15 pounds and bringing my blood pressure under control. My bloodwork in another couple of months will tell us more.  For now, I am to keep doing what I am doing, taking the medication I am on and recording my glucose numbers. And exercise daily.

Actually what I said before was not entirely true. I had a endocrinologist years ago as a teenager through a HMO.  I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome as a teenager. It was a horrible experience. That's way I never went back. However, as an adult I am in charge of asking questions and I don't have to accept crappy bedside manners from a nasty doctor who doesn't have time for me.

To all my fellow diabetics out there; I hope you have an a relationship with a good endocrinologist. I hope and pray your on a  LOW carb diet and I pray your exercising daily with me. I wish you love and health from my corner to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment