Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday struggles

I am Still eating low carb and still losing ounces. Not pounds but ounces. But after a few months ounces do add up to pounds. I have been nursing a cold so have put working out on hold for a few days. I have discovered that bread causes me serious indigestion and eventually diarrhea. For me, avoiding wheat and bread products isn't really all the difficult because I just feel so much better when I don't eat it.
The holidays are a challenge aren't they? Stuffing with Thanksgiving was a huge challenge for me. I ate one piece of bread pudding fore dessert on turkey day and that's it. I loaded up on veggies. I made asparagus this year for myself. I made beets for my hubby. I stayed away from those. I had a small piece of regular sweet potato. I wanted to drown it in brown sugar and marshmallows. But I didn't. I made sweet and sour red cabbage. Oh yum.
So now what good choices can we make for the December holidays? I am not sure about foods served for the Jewish holidays or even if the Jewish descendants battle with the diabetic incline  the rest of the USA population does.  I do know I love potato knishes and big fat New York Bagels.  I have learned to eat my smoked salmon without the bagel and instead add it and cream cheese to my scrambled eggs. I have made lettuce wraps with salmon and asparagus with dill and capers and a squeeze of lemon.  Of course I really like food like this and don't have a problem with giving up the almighty baguette. I do miss the chips though. Every once in awhile I will sneak a few from my kids bag. It is my achillis heel.

Do you struggle with anything special during the holidays? Have you had an opportunity to reinvent a favorite food to make it healthier? I would love to hear from you.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment