Saturday, October 1, 2011

United we stand

Standing isn't something we think about it until we can't do it

I have had diabetes type two for more than seven years. What do you really know about diabetes? What do you know about why high blood sugar is so dangerous? Turns out not many of us know all that much, which is why I think we need to gather together and help each other understand. We need to educated each other. Doctors don't educate, they just give you the diagnosis. I have been seven years dumb about my diabetes. Yet its the fastest growing disease among young adults and children. I am talking type 2 here, not type 1. 

Type 1 is where the pancreas does not produce any insulin at all and from the beginning of a very young age, the person must use insulin. Type 2 can be brought on by a few different things, but mostly I am reading that it is what we consume. Sometimes a type 2 person can be very thin, which baffles the community because we associate overweight and dessert eaters with type 2. This is where we need to educate ourselves. The more blogs I read, the more books I read, and the more I read from the American Diabetic Association we have the food pyramid upside down. We are consuming too many carbohydrates that our bodies can not process.  But more of this later. This is just the first page. This is to introduce you to the idea that we need to take responsibility for our diabetes.  I want to help our community to get educated about how to control diabetes. It is not a death sentence. It doesn't have to be visions of amputees and blindness running through your thoughts.
Think on this:  A dog doesn't go through the grain field and chew on wheat, he is a carnivore and eats meat, chicken or whatever he can steal from the lions. Have you heard that dogs are becoming diabetic too? Is it because we are feeding them wheat and rice instead of meat?  Dogs don't have the ability to handle the wheat and neither do we.  So why isn't everyone diabetic then Amy? Well, the more research I do, the more I learn. Alarming as it is, there are an estimated 2 million people Undiagnosed that have diabetes.

This is an education learning trip that I am beginning too. This is where I learn, you learn and together we get healthy. This is a responsibility of all people, diabetic, heart disease, liver dysfunction, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and more.

Your have to find your motivation. What motivates you to do better to live healthier? Pain is usually a great motivator but after you get out of pain (usually through extensive medication therapy) you forget about it.  For some of us it can be a combination of a few things. My story is I don't like to stay at hospitals, I want to see my young children graduated college, get married and be around for grand babies. And lastly, I have huge plans for my husband and I to travel extensively after retirement. 

I hope you have had enough living with substandard life and want a whole healthy happy life? Lets work together on doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment