Sunday, October 2, 2011

What started your journey?

You have a story to tell.

I have a story to tell.

We live our lives. The story begins when we take our first breath. My diabetic story came into my life when I was six months pregnant with my first child. Gestational Diabetes.  The doctors tell me it's the placenta that puts too much demand on the pancreas and can't keep up with the demands of regulating my blood sugar and the baby, so mama becomes diabetic. Least that is what they told me seven years ago.  I am not so sure that is the entire answer, just the last part of it. I am finding that diabetes starts long before diagnosis, sometimes as much as 10 years before.

What really got my attention was my yearly blood test. My triglycerides were over 750. I was a walking time bomb. I don't like hospital stays, yet I was headed for a big one. I don't like taking lots of medication, yet every year I was adding more pills to my morning routine. I didn't like to exercise. I ate what I wanted and  took pills, fooling myself into believing that doctors know best. No one had the answers I wanted and I just stopped asking, stopped caring and played ostrich.

I have been reading Dr. Atkins book. Yes, that doctor Atkins. The particular book I am referring too is called Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. There is another book called Atkins Diabetes Revolution, but it is based on the teachings of Dr. Atkins, and was finished by two other people after Dr. Atkins passed away in 2003. Still a good book but not as complete as the book Atkins wrote himself.

I will make a bet with you. I bet if you have been diagnosed with diabetes you also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Am I right? I have been asking doctors and other diabetics why that is. No one could answer me. I finally got my answer in Diet Revolution.
A question I am still trying to get answered is whether my body is making insulin and my cells are just not absorbing the glucose for energy which I understand as insulin resistance. Or is my pancreas not making enough insulin?  Last week I was in my doctors office and got the answer, "both".

Here are some key points I learned in Atkins book and why I recommend diabetics read it for themselves.

* Insulin is the hormone that transports glucose from your blood to your cells, where it can be converted to energy. The liver will convert excess glucose to glycogen, which is stored in the liver and muscles for additional, accessible energy.
*Remaining glucose will be converted to fat and stored throughout the body.
*Excessive carbohydrate intake results in an oversupply of glucose, and thus insulin, in the body.
*An ongoing cycle of excess blood glucose overproduction and insulin overproduction eventually results in hyperinsulinism and ultimately diabetes.
* Hyperinsulinism is what makes it hard for many people to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment